Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Deep Freeze - Week 2

Finally Climbing!

We finally were generously blessed with a few sunny days to climb. Granted the temperature was just above freezing and may have snowed a few times, but we got out there!

Jon and I spent four days living off the grid. Using electricity from our solar panels, and water from the raging falls to survive in the wilderness. Life was grand, until the sun set and the battle began. Nights were cold and long. Previously we would receive a few droplets of condensation in the morning. Now these were replaced with ice, inches above our heads. I have never been to a rain forest before but from what I felt when we turned on the stove to make coffee, it seemed like I could have been there.

The days warmed up nicely when the sun fought its way through the clouds. We spent three days exploring Foster Falls, getting back above bolts. Most of the time I was not sure if I still had hands while I was climbing. We spend the fourth day at T-wall, soaking in 50 degrees of pure sunlight. It was a brilliant and gorgeous climbing day! Followed by what may have been the most satisfying shower I have ever experienced!

So much for escaping the Cincinnati cold and climbing in the warmth!

Maybe we should go further south...

Look everyone! A cool video!

No comments:

Post a Comment